» Dreadnok Siblings Zartan, Zandar and Zarana
by Stormavik Mon 26 Aug 2013 - 20:08

Share | 

My Experience with Enamels

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wizgillar

PostSubject: My Experience with Enamels   Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 19:33

Ok, so I here all good things said about using acrylics. I tried them and found the paint rub was horrible and not just at the joints. Even after a week of drying, I was afraid to touch the figure at all because the paint just didn't hold up. I had a large supply of enamels so I tried those and have been using them ever since.

As for my experiences with using enamels, I have had good results thus far. There were a few stumbling blocks at first though. On the 85-94 figures/parts that I painted, I haven't had any real issues save for the paint going on too thin one some. Now, figures from more recent years; ARAH re-releases from the VvV line and such, I have ran into the paint not wanting to dry quickly. This has happened only a couple of times though.

I then discovered this rather handy Rustoleum spray paint. I started using it on vehicles but then decided to use it as a basecoat on my figures. The results are remarkable. Sometimes it takes a single coat while other times it may take two. After that, the enamels go on quite well and dry quickly even on the newer/softer o-ring figures.

So I guess I am left with a few questions. Has anyone had good experiences using enamels or are acrylics still the primary paint used by those of you who paint your figures? Is the tendency to shy away from enamels based mainly on the supposed drying time? The clean-up? Negative effects on figures? I haven't had much issue with any of this but I am just curious as to whether or not others have.
Back to top Go down
RAMBO

PostSubject: Re: My Experience with Enamels   Tue 2 Aug 2011 - 20:09

I use both. 90% acrylics and 10% enamels, with great results from both of them. I use enamels for metallic colors and things such belts and badges and such things.

I like acrylics more because they dry faster and you only need water to work with them. With enamels I use thinner.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46234368@N06/
remster_9
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Experience with Enamels   Wed 3 Aug 2011 - 7:06

RAMBO wrote:
I like acrylics more because they dry faster and you only need water to work with them.

What he said.

I'm surprised you've had so many problems with acrylics. What brand do you use? I use Citadel (Games Workshop), Vallejo and Tamiya. Never had any problem whatsoever.

Do you coat?
Back to top Go down
wizgillar

PostSubject: Re: My Experience with Enamels   Wed 3 Aug 2011 - 8:20

My wife had some fancy, expensive stuff that she used to use a lot in her craft work. They were what I tried using when I first began customizing figures. It could have been my lack of experience with using them that turned me off to acrylics. I am going to have to break out her paints again and see what kind they were.
Back to top Go down
remster_9
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Experience with Enamels   Wed 3 Aug 2011 - 8:53

wizgillar wrote:
My wife had some fancy, expensive stuff that she used to use a lot in her craft work. They were what I tried using when I first began customizing figures. It could have been my lack of experience with using them that turned me off to acrylics. I am going to have to break out her paints again and see what kind they were.

Hmmm I would be tempted to say your issues probably came from the quality of the paint, not your lack of experience.

You usually get what you pay for - it's probably best to use a paint that is designed for plastic model kits Wink
Back to top Go down
RAMBO

PostSubject: Re: My Experience with Enamels   Wed 3 Aug 2011 - 11:26

remster_9 wrote:
...it's probably best to use a paint that is designed for plastic model kits Wink

This is the point.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46234368@N06/
cyko
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Experience with Enamels   Wed 3 Aug 2011 - 11:53

I've used enamels all my life, but probably mostly because I didn't know I could use acrylics to paint plastic toys. Very Happy The myth of enamel paint not chipping is false; tight parts (particularly arms) will usually scrape off the paint, even with a sealer/clear-coat. And I remember painting a Remco ninja head back in the '80s that never dried. I threw it away last year because every time I saw it in my parts bag, it bummed me out. Soft plastic doesn't seem to like enamel paint. Maybe it's the chemicals. But 2000 era figures take a very long time to dry, and even then I could swear they're just a bit tacky to the touch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Experience with Enamels   

Back to top Go down

My Experience with Enamels
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ARAH Custom Exclusive Club :: Customizing 101 :: Painting-
Jump to: