» Dreadnok Siblings Zartan, Zandar and Zarana
by Stormavik Mon 26 Aug 2013 - 20:08

Share | 

Painting a figure

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gijoe071681

PostSubject: Painting a figure   Tue 17 Aug 2010 - 10:20

I am having a bit of a tough time painting a figure (as i haven't really customized many figures at lease not since i was a kid). Well to make a long story short, I tried Apple Barrel paints as I head from somewhere that they were good for customizing. They work okay except that they peel off, and I tried Testors which works but looks okay and doesn't peel but on another figure it stayed tacky well till this very day. So I guess my question is what am I doing wrong? I sanded the figure to rough up the surface, washed it in warm dish water (water and dish soap), dried it and then painted it. Is it the paints I'm using? If so what should I use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Dave
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Painting a figure   Tue 17 Aug 2010 - 15:01

Well 2 things, you could prime the figure, then paint. If you do that get a good grey primer. Games workshops makes a good one. Or just paint the whole figure black, let him dry. Then sit him in the sun for a few hours, have him on a stand, the heat from the sun will help bake in the black paint. Then after a few hours bring him, let him cool down, then give him a nice paint job. If you water down your paints a bit, they will go on smoother, and shouldnt peel. I tend to use thinner then water. The paint should be smooth like milk, and thicker you will have trouble. Remember to always paint thin layers. I have used all kinds of paint and altho I use some more then others, they will all work just fine.

gijoe071681

PostSubject: Re: Painting a figure   Wed 18 Aug 2010 - 10:54

Does painting a figure black really work? If it does doesn't it make it really hard to cover up? Or do you just use that if you are painting the figure in dark colors?

PostSubject: Re: Painting a figure   Thu 19 Aug 2010 - 21:45

What figure stayed tacky forever? I've used Testor's since I was a kid, and none of the Hasbro parts ever gave me trouble (this was up to '88). I'm thinking the new sculpt figures, with the softer plastic, may offer some problems.

Also, I have to use pretty fresh paint. Black tends to get... gummy after a long time. Even if I could paint with it, I wouldn't want to - the results are hideous!
Back to top Go down
gijoe071681

PostSubject: Re: Painting a figure   Thu 19 Aug 2010 - 22:50

Oddly enough the figure that stayed tacky forever was partially a cobra commander from ROC and partially Trigate. Then just recently it was a stalker and snow serpent hybrid figure from 89 and 91. And it was actually black the first time and white second time as well as I seen to have a residue transfer problem with the testors white. I used testors when I was a kid too and had no problems. Have they changed the formula recently? Also in both cases the black and white were new. (Freshness I'm not sure of)

PostSubject: Re: Painting a figure   Thu 19 Aug 2010 - 23:03

I'm not sure. I have noticed something's unusual about the white. When I clean the brushes, the white waste bottle stays milky while the dark bottle settles (pigment at the bottom, clear thinner).

I did just paint the knit cap (white) and chest tshirt (black) on a '89 Stalker and it dried okay.
Back to top Go down
gijoe071681

PostSubject: Re: Painting a figure   Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 9:59

Interesting, were you using the regular testors or testors model masters? As well as were they acrylic or enamel?

PostSubject: Re: Painting a figure   Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 18:53

I know it's taboo, but I use the cheap enamel stuff. I've gotten a jar or two of the Model Masters, but the high-dollar colors don't go on like they look in the bottle anyway, so I'm usually better off mixing up some of the cheap stuff.
Back to top Go down
gijoe071681

PostSubject: Re: Painting a figure   Fri 20 Aug 2010 - 22:12

Do you thin it at all?

PostSubject: Re: Painting a figure   Sat 21 Aug 2010 - 0:08

Not if it's new. Most colors still require 2 coats (more for white & yellow). But if I mix a color and don't use it immediately, I do thin it a bit or it goes on gloppy (a technical term Wink... detail is obscured). I made a semi gloss black that's a close match to factory sheen, but every time I open the bottle it seems to need a couple more drops of thinner. Might just be the altitude, though.
Back to top Go down
gijoe071681

PostSubject: Re: Painting a figure   Sat 21 Aug 2010 - 10:57

i tried some of the as you put it testors cheap enamel stuff and oddly enough its not tacky at all this morning. I wonder if maybe its a reaction from the model master paints and the gijoe plastic.

PostSubject: Re: Painting a figure   Fri 27 Aug 2010 - 21:41

The Testor paints are enamels right? If so, they will react funny with some figure parts, that is why I switched to acrylics. The Apple Barrel is peeling off because it is not that great of a paint. You need to invest a little more cash into a better brand. I use GAMES WORKSHOP stuff, aka Citadel and/or Warhammer paint. Some guys swear by the good brands you find at toy train hobby shops. Others use this weird Japanese brand.

Do a little experimenting and see what works best for you.
Back to top Go down
gijoe071681

PostSubject: Re: Painting a figure   Fri 27 Aug 2010 - 22:48

Thanks for the advice. I did try testors acrylics and they seem to be the ones that are working okay. The only problem I have with citadel, which I have looked into is that nobody near me sells it and I don't want to buy paint without knowing the color, which I can never seem to find pictures of the colors on the interwebs. Also have you ever heard of Flo-quil? Its a model train paint that they do sell around me.

PostSubject: Re: Painting a figure   

Back to top Go down

Painting a figure
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1